Mini Reviews: The Krystal Sutherland Edition

by - Tuesday, September 19, 2017

A Semi Definite List Of Worst Nightmares | sprinkledpages

Hey friends! 

Welcome back to my blog (or if you’re new, hello, welcome, I ramble a lot about books!) and I hope you’re all having a lovely day. Today I’m going to be sharing with you mini reviews for Our Chemical Hearts and A Semi Definite List Of Worst Nightmares, both by Krystal Sutherland.

If you didn’t know anything about Krystal Sutherland, she is an Australian author whose first novel, Our Chemical Hearts was published last year. I had been meaning to read her work for a really long time but for some reason, I kept putting it off until recently, I read both of her books! 

OUR CHEMICAL HEARTS 

Our Chemical Hearts | sprinkledpagesI was super excited for Our Chemical Hearts. All my Australian bookish friends had been raving about this book and I was super pumped to read it after having heard such good things. But sadly, I was disappointed. 

I liked how unique it was as most YA tends to focus on the romantics of first-love, rather than the realistic nuances of the emotion and I feel like Krystal was able to capture the heart of the emotion (aha no pun intended) really well. Henry and Grace had distinct personalities and they didn’t fall into the clichéd boy-meets-girl tropes common in YA. The side characters were also quite fleshed out and didn’t fade into the background, thankfully. The humour was well done and I feel as a writer, Sutherland has a lot of potential because her exploration of love and loss and first times was so well done. The ending was really great and managed to wrap up the book extremely well and get across the message.

But the problem comes in the middle portions. The book felt like it was trying too hard at times (and it reminded me a lot (and not in a good way!) of John Green) with the characterisation of Grace and Henry. It was so hard to connect with and root for them and often, their choices throughout the novel made me dislike them even more. They were so bland and often, cringe too. I didn’t like Grace, and I could understand she had been through a lot, but the hot-and-cold happening between the two of them frustrated me to no ends. Plot wise, the book dragged and didn’t have much happening, which was quite unfortunate. 

Overall, it wasn’t the worst, but not the best either. A sadly ‘meh’ read for me.

OVERALL RATING:

Our Chemical Hearts | sprinkledpages


A SEMI DEFINITE LIST OF WORST NIGHTMARES 

A Semi Definite List Of Worst Nightmares | sprinkledpagesI was more reluctant to read this after having read Our Chemical Hearts first because after reading the synopsis, it sounded much like the first one where the book ‘tried too hard’. But glad to say that this was an improvement and that Krystal Sutherland was able to improve as a writer since her first book.
This was well written and tackled the issue of mental health in an unexpected but absolutely terrific way that totally surprised and simultaneously pleased me. The dialogue was the perfect balance between touching and understated to deadpan humour (which, let’s be real, is the best kind of humour!). I liked the characters A LOT more in this one because despite their wackiness, they really spring of the page and seem life like. Esther was so loving and funny and a great main character and Jonah was such a sweet heart. Bonus points to Sutherland for having POC representation in this book! Once again, the side characters didn’t feel like side characters in this because they had such distinct personalities and an important role to play in the book.

But now to the downs. I found this got quite confusing at some points. The flashbacks irritated me because I wasn’t really interested in them, but they were vital to the story so I couldn’t skip them. Usually, I’m not that picky but I don’t think the supernatural elements worked very well for this book. I liked it up to a point, but when it began to become more detailed and a bigger part of the story, I was a little discouraged. The ending was also unclear and quite rushed as suddenly after the climax, the falling action happened in the matter of pages. It also took me a while to figure out that it wasn’t actually me who had missed something but the ending had been left that way and up to the readers own interpretation, which, once again, I usually don’t mind, but I felt like I needed closure in this one. 

However, this was a solid read and a definite (ha, see what I did there? I am just full of jokes today!) improvement from the first one.


OVERALL RATING:

Have you read any of Krystal Sutherland's books? What did you think of them?

Thank you to Readings Australia for sending me a copy of Our Chemical Hearts and to Penguin Teen Australia for sending me a copy of A Semi Definite List Of Worst Nightmares. However, all thoughts and opinions are my own and this is an honest review.

You May Also Like

10 happy thoughts

  1. I've heard mixed things about Our Chemical Hearts but nothing but great things about A Semi-Definitive List of Worst Nightmares. All in all, I'm glad that you enjoyed both of these books!

    Thanks for sharing,
    ~Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been really looking forward to A Semi Definite List Of Worst Nightmares, it'll be my first read by Krystal Sutherland and have seen nothing but praise for it, especially from international bloggers as well. I think that's the wonder of having a little magical realism thrown into a contemporary storyline, it keeps readers on their toes and typically unpredictable which I'm a massive fan of. The mental health aspect sounds so wonderfully written. Great reviews Anisha, looking forward to picking that one up next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it Kelly and thank you for reading!

      Delete
  3. Lovely reviews, Anisha! I have read Our Chemical Hearts and really enjoyed it, even if, I agree, at times I also felt like it was trying a little bit too hard. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed her sophomore novel a little more - I have seen praise for this book so far and it sounds quite good, I'm not ready to give up on this author just yet. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it Marie and thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  4. I haven't read either of these! Mainly because contemporary books are the ones I gravitate towards the least, in all honesty. Although you mentioned supernatural elements in the second one, which surprised me a lot!! Aussie YA is hardly ever not contemporary so now I have a bit more interest in that one. Also, there's a cat on the cover *.*

    I'm sorry to hear that the first book wasn't so great for you, but yay for liking the second one more! I think seeing an author grow as a storyteller is kind of awesome :D

    Lovely reviews, Anisha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading Chiara, and i'm glad you enjoyed!

      Delete
  5. I was able to meet Krystal last year and she's super sweet! But I have yet to read her books yet (unsurprisingly), and I'm honestly in no rush to read them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh lucky, I wish I could have met her, she seems very cool!

      Delete

Leave me a comment below! And feel free to leave your website URL so I can come visit!