Foolish Hearts Turned Out To Be Just A Foolish Mess | Book Review

by - Friday, January 19, 2018



Hi friends! 

Wow it has been SUCH a long time. Firstly, happy new year. I hope 2018 is good for you. I know I haven’t been very active on my blog recently, and I’m really sorry about that, but I have been quite busy on my YouTube channel so make sure to check that out! I did recently share my bookish goals of 2018 as well as the best books of 2017 and the worst books of 2017 so make sure to click on those words if you’d like to watch those videos! 

Anyways, today I’m going to be sharing with you a spoiler free book review for Foolish Hearts by Emma Mills. I have reviewed one of her previous works This Adventure Ends on my blog, which you can check out if you’d like! 

Let’s just get started before I continue to ramble! (And wow, it feels so good to be typing out a blog post after so long, I didn’t want you to think I’d abandoned you all!)



WHAT I LIKED:

  • Firstly, aesthetics wise. The cover is GORGEOUS. And so is the inside. I think Emma Mills always has such fantastic covers because her previous two books are also ridiculously stunning. I didn’t think I’d like it, but in person, it’s just so unique and lovely.
  • Entertaining and easy to read. The story wasn’t too long, it took me about 2-3 hours to read, which I consider very good. It was also easy to get into and I was interested in what would happen next
  • Features a f/f relationship, POC and characters with a neurological condition. I liked that the book took the opportunity to include diversity.
But sadly, that’s all there is.

Foolish Hearts Book Review | sprinkledpages

WHAT I DIDN’T LIKE:

  • The plot seems far-fetched. I thought the plot was interesting but that was outweighed by the main problem of it being EXTREMELY far-fetched. The whole lead up, the dramas and the climax didn’t seem quite accurate. The reactions of a lot of the characters initially were very odd and forced. It just didn’t flow naturally
  • Had instalove romance and no chemistry between the characters. There is no real ‘lead up’ between the guy being interested in the girl. One moment he doesn’t know her and the next he seriously likes her. As well as that, there was 0 chemistry between them and they were so bland and not at all memorable.
  • Too much of a mish-mash. I didn’t really like how there was EVERYTHING in this. It just seemed messy. There is a play, a boy band obsession (and it took me like 5 chapters to figure out that TION is a boy band because it isn’t even clearly explained) and an obsession with gaming. It isn’t necessarily bad that she has characters interested in different areas because that is reality, no one only has one hobby, but it was also messily done and not well explored and explained.
  • The characters had ZERO personality. As I’m writing this, I finished the book 2 days ago and I can’t remember ANYTHING about the characters much less their names. Just because it’s a YA contemporary I can say with conviction the two characters ended up together.

Initially, I had given this book 3.5 stars and now I’m probably going to give the book 2.5 because I realised as I was writing this how little I actually remember of it. It just showed how unmemorable this was for me. Oh well, thanks for reading anyways friends xx

OVERALL RATING:
½
 

Thank you to Pan Macmillan for providing me a review copy of this book however all thoughts and opinions are my own and this is an honest review

You May Also Like

4 happy thoughts

  1. Oh no! I'm sorry this was a miss for you. I loved This Adventure Ends and I was hopeful for this one to be jsut as cute. I hope you love your next read.

    Thanks for sharing,
    ~Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a shame you didn't enjoy this book as much. Despite that, I'm gonna try and give this book a go. Great review, thanks for sharing your thoughts <3

    Charlotte | https://charlotteidek.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. waoo nice post about "Foolish Hearts Turned Out To Be Just A Foolish Mess | Book Review"

    Thanks,

    Commodity Tips Free Trial

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, no. I'm sorry this wasn't a good fit for you, Anisha! I think forgettable books are almost worse than the bad ones because at least you remember the bad ones for being bad, yaknow?

    I really can't decide if I like the cover or not, haha. I guess it's interesting, but it doesn't really appeal to me very much. I prefer the cover for This Adventure Ends. The painting feel to it is so nice.

    I actually have a copy of this book but haven't decided if I want to read it yet... I guess if I do I'll go in knowing TION is a boyband, haha.

    Thanks for the review, lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment below! And feel free to leave your website URL so I can come visit!