Halo by Frankie Rose Book Review

by - Wednesday, June 03, 2015


Continuing on from the previous book of the month post (which you all seemed to love!) I have a brand new book to share with you all! Hope you enjoy and if you have some book recommendations for me or a book you'd like for me to review make sure to leave that in a comment below!

Halo by Frankie Rose

Halo is a Young Adult book I found while scrolling through the iBookstore. I was instantly drawn by the synopsis and decided to download it. I’ll admit, I was a bit sceptical about the book and it was lying in my library for a quite a while before I decided read it. 

I have to say though, I regret not having done it earlier. 
Halo is a beautifully written, extremely unique story about a girl who grew up in a place called the Colosseum. The society described in the book was broken into castes; the rich, the poor and the fighting class. The fighting caste, however unlike all the others had to wear special collars around their neck that prevented them from emotions such as love, anger, pain, hate etc. 

The story focuses on a fighter named Kit whose collar stops working. When she can finally feel emotions, she is stunned and forced to flee the city. Leaving is challenging but she manages and meets Ryka who takes her to a community out of the city, where emotions are allowed but rules are still in place. 

I found this story to be very compelling and unpredictable. I was on the edge of my seat throughout the entire story. I liked it so much I managed to read it in one night and then the second book the night after. Each character, chapter and word had some sort of importance or meaning. 

My favourite character was Kit. I loved how strong and determined she was, even when she was confused or hurt or angry. She was very in control of her emotions even without the halo which I found to be admirable when faced in a situation like she had. 

All in all, Halo is a great read and can easily be downloaded from the iBookstore for free. I recommend it if you enjoyed The Hunger Games or Divergent.  

You May Also Like

0 happy thoughts