Diversity December Bingo + TBR

by - Thursday, December 01, 2016

Diversity December Bingo + TBR | sprinkledpages

Hey friends!

Today I am sharing with you a super exciting event which is taking place called the Diversity December Bingo!

Diversity in literature has always been needed but it is only recently that I have begun to realise just HOW MUCH is needed! It’s so important to me and to so many others because we WANT our voices to be heard! We want our backgrounds and cultures and views and values to be represented fairly in books! We want main characters that are not only realistic but REAL!



We want people of colour, of the LGBTQI+ community, those with a mental or physical disability and so many more to be huge parts of the book! We want to read stories about not only the perfect, white, straight kids but also about those who are minorities! Because those minorities exist and they deserve, just as much as the white, straight kids, to be represented fairly!

(And on that note, let me just say there is NOTHING wrong with being white or straight or anything like that! This is not an attack at you, I promise! Also, all this is MY personal opinion and if you think I am being unjust or have said something offensive, even though that was not my intention, please let me know and we can have a chat because I don’t mean to cause anyone any offence!)

Anyway, back to the task at hand! This was created by a bunch of different and very awesome people (names in the bingo card below) and the moment I saw it, I knew I had to participate because it IS SO FANTASTIC! It is such a great way to spread the message of diversity and through such a fun way!
It’s this reading bingo game that aims to encourage people reading more diverse books! The creators of the challenge have created the game board, pictured below and all you gotta do is complete a line whether it be across, down or diagonal and you could go into the running to win a book!


Make sure to share on Instagram and Twitter using the #diversitydecbingo to let the hosts know you are participating, to encourage discussion and to spread the word about diversity!

If you’re worried about which books fit these categories, worry not because there are TONS of recommendations around! Feel free to check out my Goodreads diverse reads bookshelf along with the image below picturing some diverse reads! 

I have read and reviewed most of them and the links for those are below the image but some I have yet to read and am hoping to by this month or the next if I don’t get them done this month!

Diversity December Bingo + TBR | sprinkledpages


For more recommendations, check out the #diversitydecbingo hashtag on Twitter for compilations of book recommendations for each square on the bingo board! You don’t even need twitter to view this! Just click this link!

And if you’re wondering what line I am going to be completing and some of the books I am reading, I am going to be completing the middle line down, which is refugee main character, transgender main character, disabled main character and biracial main character!

The books I am specifically reading for this include (respectively!) Salt To The Sea, If I Was Your Girl, Not If I See You First and To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before.

Some of the other books I am also going to be reading that are not part of my line but still diverse include Tiny Pretty Things, And I Darken, All The Light We Cannot See, Of Fire And Stars, The Forbidden Wish, Written In The Stars and Song Of Achilles.

Are you guys going to be participating? And if so, what books are you planning to read? (And if you’re not participating, please do! It’s such a fun and important readathon and I’d love it if you shared the message about the importance of diversity!)

You May Also Like

10 happy thoughts

  1. I love this reading challenge everyone put together! So many amazing prompts :D I'm not participating but I do plan on reading mainly diverse books this month so maybe I'll complete a line anyway, I hope you love all your books that you pick up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY OMG DIVERSE BOOKS ARE THE BEST! And I hope you are able to complete a line! Also, thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Oh this is an awesome challenge! I love reading diverse books and I'm always on the lookout for epic recommendations and I try to make sure I'm really adding as much diverse reading into my bookish life as I can. BECAUSE IT'S SO IMPORTANT. I hope your challenge goes really well. *tosses confetti*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cait! I hope it goes well and I am able to read as many diverse books as possible! And it's good to see another fellow blogger stand for diversity! :)

      Delete
  3. Made You Up, Girl in Pieces and Tiny Pretty Things are three of my favourite books so I hope you enjoy them!! I love the idea of this challenge :) I'm not actually participating because I'm rubbish at challenges but I'm definitely making an effort to read more diverse books anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am so excited to read those three! I am actually currently reading Tiny Pretty Things and it's just so good!

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for participating and for this post lovely! ALSO YAY YOU'RE READING THE SONG OF ACHILLES! You've read so many books already this month and I haven't even read one (I am such a bad host lol). I hope the rest of the month goes wonderfully as well Anisha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Jananee, you read so diversely that it doesn't even matter if you haven't read that much this month! ALSO DON'T SAY THAT YOU'RE THE BEST HOST EVER! + I'M SUPER EXCITED TO READ THE SONG OF ACHILLES BECAUSE I'VE HEARD SO MANY GOOD THINGS FROM YOU!

      Delete
  5. This white girl isn't offended sweetheart and completely agree with your sentiments. Everyone deserves to feel represented, to be able to relate to characters and have their voices heard. Everyone.

    While I'm not participating myself (very time poor at this time of year), I'm really looking forward to seeing your updates and reviews, brilliant to read list! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KELLY YOU'RE SO SWEET OMG! <3 <3 <3 Thank you for understanding and being so supportive and I hope whatever it is that is bothering you and meaning this is a poor time of the year gets better! :)

      Delete

Leave me a comment below! And feel free to leave your website URL so I can come visit!