Author Appreciation: Jandy Nelson

by - Monday, September 05, 2016

Jandy Nelson | sprinkledpages\

Hey there! 

Today I'm doing something a little different and that is an author appreciation post! These are some of my absolute favourite authors and just a way for me to chat about an author of choice that I really love and some of their books. 

The author today is Jandy Nelson who wrote I'll Give You The Sun and The Sky Is Everywhere, both of which are such beautifully written stories about love and loss. They are expressed in their own individual ways and are such a rollercoaster ride of a read! 

Jandy Nelson is an American young adult writer who prior to her writing career, worked as an agent for 13 years. She specifically writes contemporary and has written two books, with no news of a third. 

I have done book reviews on both of these books where I talked about them more in detail which you can check out for a in-depth chat of the plot, characters, writing and idea just so I don't repeat the same things here that I wrote there! 


I'LL GIVE YOU THE SUN 



This is the first of the two books that I had read and after hearing such lovely things from people, I decided to pick it up. Going into it, I didn't expect it to be as good as it was. It was such a unique and well told story about two twins and the highs and lows that come with growing up and falling in love. 

The characters are absolute masterpieces because they're so well fleshed out and are practically bouncing off the pages. It was such an incredible journey because I had no idea what had happened to the twins and what was going to happen next. It had me sitting on the edge of my seat, my breath held in anticipation. 

Jandy Nelson | sprinkledpages

I have to say, this is my favourite of her two books because it absolutely enthralled me. It was such a mysterious yet realistic story and it captured my heart. It is an absolute must read for any contemporary lover. And if you're not a contemporary lover, read it because it will convert you! 

If you want to read more about what I thought of the book, check out my book review

THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE 



Although this isn't my favourite, it is definitely a book that I enjoyed because of the beautiful way it explored grief. It was so well written and beautiful. The grief of the characters was so palpable and real, not the fake stuff people write to elicit sympathy from the readers. The way the grief was explored was so vulnerable and piercing and left me absolutely heartbroken. 

The way Nelson wrote the relationships of the main character with her sister, her grandmother, uncle and friends was so authentic and bounding off the pages. They were also so quirky and lifelike. 

The Sky Is Everywhere is a must read for how beautiful and poignant it is! 

If you want to read more about what I thought of the book, check out my book review! 


If you haven't read anything Jandy Nelson, what on earth are you doing? Her books are an absolute must read and you must get your hands on one of her books! 

You May Also Like

0 happy thoughts

Leave me a comment below! And feel free to leave your website URL so I can come visit!