Author Appreciation: Meeting Rainbow Rowell + Book Signing

by - Friday, September 09, 2016

Rainbow Rowell | sprinkledpages

Hey everyone! Hope you're all having a lovely day today!

So you may have heard me talk *cough* fangirl *cough* about meeting Rainbow Rowell on my Twitter and Instagram two weeks ago (it feels like ages ago tbh) and it was such a fun experience because I honestly love her!

I've read all her books and have enjoyed every single one of them because they're so funny, interesting and enjoyable, which is why I decided to do a author appreciation post on her! I've done one of these before with Jandy Nelson's books where I talk about it more in detail but basically, it's where I chat about an awesome author and all their works!

I got to meet her at the Melbourne Writer's Festival where she gave a talk on YA with David Levithan (whose book, Every Day I've also read and enjoyed!) and they were honestly so funny and awesome and I enjoyed it. After Rainbow had a book signing (fun fact, I was actually first in line for it so I didn't have to wait at all, which was awesome) and I got my books signed by her and took a picture with her. She was honestly lovely and it is one of my super cool experiences!

But anyway, this is an author appreciation post more than a meeting Rainbow Rowell, fangirling like crazy and then fangirling some more after post. So let's just get started!

Rainbow Rowell | sprinkledpages

She has five books currently out, not including any short stories and novellas and I have ranked them in order from those I liked the least to those I liked the most. But do note, when I saw liked the least, I mean from her books, which are all phenomenal.

5 | LANDLINE 

I feel this one is the least liked for a lot of people. I didn't really get the book when I read it (which was a while back) but I feel if I re-read it, I may enjoy it a little more. However, due to being an adult novel about marriage and a mid-life crisis, I couldn't really relate with the characters. I didn't understand the plot much but I did quite like the idea of being able to talk to your previous self, which really got me thinking as to what I'd say to my previous self.


4 | CARRY ON 

I hate putting this in fourth place because I feel it deserves better than that, but I didn't want to have books that were tied in place so I decided to have Carry On here. I absolutely loved this book and the characters were awesome (Simon and Baz, I'm looking at you!). But I feel it was a lot lower in ranking for me because I didn't quite understand everything towards the end and got a little confused and felt a little 'meh' about the whole thing. But in all, it's a great read!

Rainbow Rowell | sprinkledpages

3 | ATTATCHMENTS 

I adored the idea of this! It's about two friends that send personal emails to each other in the work place and one guy whose job is to flag emails that are not about work. But instead, he ends up reading them.

It's such a funny and light-hearted book and Rainbow's very first novel published. I loved the conversations between the friends and the way the story progressed slow and steady. There were a few issues I had with it such as being dry at times but since I read it quite a while ago and haven't been able to re-read, I can't remember much more than enjoying the story quite a lot!

2 | ELEANOR AND PARK 

So I was debating about whether or not I wanted to have Eleanor And Park here or not but in the end I decided to, even though I adored this one! This was the first Rainbow Rowell novel I'd read and I enjoyed it immensely. The characters were so real and raw and the story was so uncliche. The characters were diverse and different and they felt like actual people to me, with actual problems.

I loved the way Rainbow wrote this book and developed the characters because it was absolutely beautiful! It is such an amazing read and one that you have to pick up!

Rainbow Rowell | sprinkledpages

1 | FANGIRL 

I think Fangirl is #1 for me because I felt I could relate with the character the most because she was so awkward and introverted like me. I loved getting to see her come out of her shell and learn to be her own person, rather than an extension of her twin sister. It was such an enjoyable, fun, lovable read and one that I loved every second of. I have re-read this one quite a few times and is my go to comfort book for how sweet and happy it is!

I have done a book review where I talk about it more in detail which you can read for more thoughts on the book!


Anyway, so that's it! If you haven't read any of Rainbow's books, what on earth are you doing???? You absolutely must pick these up because they're phenomenal!

You May Also Like

0 happy thoughts