A Court Of Mist And Fury No Spoiler Book Review

by - Thursday, August 18, 2016

A Court Of Mist And Fury No Spoiler Book Review | sprinkledpages

A Court Of Mist And Fury by Sarah J Maas is the second book in the A Court Of Thorns And Roses series. It is a thrilling, beautifully written and crafted series with splendid characters an an unpredictable story line. 

I do not recommend reading this review if you have not read the first book as it may spoil the first book. I have done a no spoiler book review for the first book which you can check out!


About the book. 

Book: A Court Of Mist And Fury
Series: A Court Of Thorns And Roses
Author: Sarah J Maas
Pages: 640
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children
Rating: 
Synopsis: Feyre survived Amarantha's clutches to return to the Spring Court—but at a steep cost. Though she now has the powers of the High Fae, her heart remains human, and it can't forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin's people.

Nor has Feyre forgotten her bargain with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court. As Feyre navigates its dark web of politics, passion, and dazzling power, a greater evil looms—and she might be key to stopping it. But only if she can harness her harrowing gifts, heal her fractured soul, and decide how she wishes to shape her future—and the future of a world cleaved in two.

Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Recommended for: Anyone 15+. Has adult themes and sexual content. 

OTHER BOOKS IN THE SERIES 




My thoughts. 


SUMMARY

A Court Of Mist And Fury by Sarah J Maas is the second book in the A Court Of Thorns And Roses trilogy. I don’t recommend reading this review if you have not read the first book yet because it does contain spoilers for the first book. I have done a spoiler free review for the first book in the series.


The book follows the story of Feyre, who has now become High Fae. She has returned to the Spring Court with Tamlin but is beginning to experience problems, with herself and with her relationship.
She also has to honour her bargain she made with Rhysand, High Lord of the Night Court and as she gets drawn into his world even more, she realizes she has to make choices.

I have read Maas’s other series called the Throne Of Glass and although I did quite like them, they do not compare to how much I love this series.


I feel like Maas has really grown and created a beautiful setting and un-cliché characters in this story. And if I had to choose between ACOTAR and ACOMAF, it would easily be ACOMAF! But I’ll get into why a little later.

COVER

I mentioned this in the ACOTAR review but I’ll mention it again for the ACOMAF review but the covers for this series are so flipping beautiful. I love the vibrant colours and how they represent the book too. I feel like the colours and images on them represent how Feyre is growing as a character as she progresses.

A Court Of Mist And Fury No Spoiler Book Review | sprinkledpages

The first book was red, representative of the Tamlin’s rose gardens but she is also wearing a black dress (or what looks like a dress to me). The second book, however, is blue representative of the wind and mist. Feyre is also wearing an armour in the image of the second book, showing how she went from a huntress to a warrior.

WRITING

I haven’t always been a fan of Maas’s writing but I feel like she outdid herself in this series! It’s so beautiful and seamless. I love how flowing and easy to read it is, yet it creates suspense and mystery. There were so many quotable lines in this book too and I really adored it.

Like mentioned above and in ACOTAR review, Maas has really grown as a writer as she wrote her Throne Of Glass and A Court Of Thorns AndRoses series. I absolutely cannot wait to read more from her.

IDEA

One thing I adored about this series, especially this book is how un-cliché her characters are (as I mentioned above). I felt the characters in Throne Of Glass were quite cliché and that is one of the reasons I didn’t love it as much as I loved the characters in this book.

I don’t want to get too much into characters here because there is another section below for that but I really loved how different this entire series was, with its setting, characters and execution. It’s rare to see such unique books, especially in the fantasy and dystopian genre and it was absolutely awesome to see how well Maas incorporated fantasy and romance together so well.

PLOT

I began this book not liking it very much. One thing I have noticed Maas does is manipulate readers to like or dislike characters and that is something I absolutely hate because it doesn’t seem like the character would actually do that. That is what I thought Maas was doing to one of my favourite characters and I was really not excited to read on.

But I did and I am so thankful about it.

I can’t say too much without giving away but I promise that it is really worth the read.
The plot has so many twists and turns and everything is so unexpected. I had mentioned this in the ACOTAR review, but I love how she uses elements of folklore and fairytales with her own spin on it to create something so unforgettable.

Another thing I have noticed Maas does is really move and shake things up in her books. She is always introducing new characters, breaking off relationships between old characters, re-introducing them and as for her setting, she always has her characters moving around the country, from one place to another.

It gives the book a lot of unpredictability and freshness because it is never slow or dull. There is always something happening or something being done, making is very enjoyable to read. Maas really writes outside the box.

One last thing I wanted to mention before we get onto the characters is how Maas linked the two books in the trilogy really well. There are a few unexplained things in ACOTAR that get brought back up in ACOMAF and the events and personalities of the characters are linked so seamlessly together it’s epic.

CHARACTERS

This is the part I have been dying to write about from the moment I started typing this review. The characters in this series are so incredible. They’re so layered and well expressed and unpredictable and always changing.

Feyre is such an enjoyable protagonist to read the book from the point of view of. I like the way she views the world and I like how strong and selfless she is. She is also quite realistic. After what happened Under The Mountain, Feyre changes, which is one of the first things you learn when you read this book. She finds herself to be a different person, which is what someone would expect after what she went through.

But I also like how she remained true to herself. Feyre is shown to be a brave and selfless person from the beginning of the trilogy. She cared for her sisters, putting their needs before hers. She rescued Tamlin from Under The Mountain, tearing herself apart in the process. And even in ACOMAF, she continues to be selfless and brave.

Tamlin, as you might know if you’ve read my ACOTAR review, is one of my favourite characters. I can’t say the same anymore. It’s not that there is something explicitly wrong about him, I just found the way he acted in certain circumstances to be quite disappointing. Lucien, too.
Rhysand is a character introduced towards the second half of the first book and was a main character in this book. He is also my new favourite character. I love him because he is selfless and loyal and kind and sweet and just perfect.

Cassian, Azriel, Mor and Amren are four new characters also part of the book. I can’t say too much about them other than I love them to pieces and I really wish I could be part of this world Maas created.

FINALLY…


This book was so brilliant! I'm sure you can tell how much I loved it from how long this review is. It shows how much I wanted to keep talking about it. It is an absolute must read for anyone that loves fantasy and romance looking for a new book to fall in love with! 

Also, if you have read the entire review, you're awesome! 

You May Also Like

0 happy thoughts