Crown Of Midnight No Spoiler Book Review

by - Sunday, August 07, 2016

Crown Of Midnight No Spoiler Book Review | empoweredinternetwomen

Crown Of Midnight by Sarah J Maas is an amazing, amazing book! After reading Throne Of Glass, the first book in the series, I was surprised to find that I quite liked it. Read on to see why!

About the book. 

Book: Crown Of Midnight
Author: Sarah J Maas
Pages: 418
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children
Rating: 
Synopsis: From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul as black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.

Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.
Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie... and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for.
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Recommended for: Young Adult readers however can be read by anyone 13+. Fans of the Graceling series and other Fantasy novels will enjoy!

My thoughts.


SUMMARY

Crown Of Midnight by Sarah J Maas is the second book in the Throne Of Glass series. I recommend reading the first book which is Throne Of Glass before reading this review. You can check out my Throne Of Glass book review too!

Related: Throne Of Glass Book Review

Crown Of Midnight is the second part to the six book journey. Celaena has now become the King’s Assassin. She is forced to win her freedom by spilling more blood for the King. As well as that, Calenea finds herself torn between the two men in her life – the captain of the guard, Chaol Westfall and the Crown Prince, Dorian.

The book is an absolute rollercoaster ride as Celaena goes through the ups and downs that come with being the King’s Assassin and as people from her past come back to haunt her. It is an absolute must read.

WRITING

The writing of the book was thrilling, fast paced and exciting. Every new twist and turn made me sit up higher in my seat, made me flip the page faster and read as quick as I possibly could to uncover the plot. It was enthralling and amazing and unique and I could not put it down (literally – I read it in 2 days).

PLOT

If you’ve read my review for the first book in the series, Throne Of Glass, you’ll know I didn’t enjoy the first book much. It was slow and dull and cliché and bored me.

Crown Of Midnight No Spoiler Book Review | empoweredinternetwomen

But Crown Of Midnight is NONE of those things! It’s so brilliant and shocking and a must read! The plot in the second book really picked up. Finally, things were happening and you could see the puzzle pieces beginning to fit together.

The book was filled with action and drama and adventure and the quick pace left me breathless. Small parts of the mystery begin to unveil themselves in the novel you feel like you’re looking at a bigger picture.

Crown Of Midnight began with us seeing Celaena as the King’s Assassin. But when the King gives her a person from her past to assassinate, she begins tracking him to see what he’s hiding only to uncover something so much bigger than herself. I can’t say much more without giving away the plot but the book is a must read, even if you have to push through Throne Of Glass to get there.

I also have to add that I feel I enjoyed the plot more because Maas removed the love triangle from the book and that made me like it a lot more, since I am not a love triangle person.

CHARACTERS

Aha! The characters in the book were so much better than the first book too! I felt as if I could really connect with them in the Crown Of Midnight. The character developments were also spectacular as the readers get to see other sides to the characters.

I liked Celaena in the book. She seemed a lot more real and natural and lifelike. I also felt as if she is someone I could be friends with if I lived in the word that Maas created. Like I mentioned above, I felt a lot more connected to the characters in this book, especially her.

Chaol is someone I always loved but I loved him even more in this book as his and Celaena’s friendship grows. He displays the kind, compassionate and caring side of him and I absolutely ate it up.

Dorian, you see significantly less of in the book. He got on my nerves slightly but maybe it’s a personal preference thing (#TeamChaol).

FINALLY…

Crown Of Midnight was AWESOME! I was quite surprised at how much I enjoyed the book, especially after I read Throne Of Glass. But it was a really enjoyable read! It was fast paced, thrilling, mysterious and wholly enjoyable. Read. It. 

You May Also Like

0 happy thoughts