Queen Of Shadows No Spoiler Book Review

by - Thursday, August 11, 2016

Queen Of Shadows No Spoiler Book Review | empoweredinternetwomen

Queen Of Shadows by Sarah J Maas is a fast-paced high fantasy novel that is third in the Throne Of Glass series. 

I do not recommend reading this review if you have not read the other three books in the series which are Throne Of Glass, Crown  Of Midnight and Heir Of Fire. I have done no spoiler reviews on all of them which you can check out! 


About the book. 

Book: Queen Of Shadows
Series: Throne Of Glass
Author: Sarah J Maas
Pages: 648
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children
Rating: 
Synopsis: Everyone Celaena Sardothien loves has been taken from her. But she’s at last returned to the empire—for vengeance, to rescue her once-glorious kingdom, and to confront the shadows of her past…

She has embraced her identity as Aelin Galathynius, Queen of Terrasen. But before she can reclaim her throne, she must fight.

She will fight for her cousin, a warrior prepared to die for her. She will fight for her friend, a young man trapped in an unspeakable prison. And she will fight for her people, enslaved to a brutal king and awaiting their lost queen’s triumphant return.

Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Recommended for: Young Adult readers however can be read by anyone 14+. Fans of the Graceling series and other Fantasy novels will enjoy!

OTHER BOOKS IN THE SERIES 






My thoughts.

SUMMARY

Queen of Shadows by Sarah J Maas all about Celaena (or Aelin, whatever you like to call her but for the purpose of this review, I’ll call her Celaena) as she comes back to Adarlan, but this time she is here to overthrow the king and reclaim her fallen kingdom. However, she arrives to find things are much more different than she expected.

IDEA + PLOT

One thing I have grown to appreciate about Maas is how she really makes progress in each of the books with the plot. It’s fast paced, action packed and quite suspenseful. We see Celanea come back to Adarlan, ready to fight and fight she does. Battling opponents from her former master, Arobynn to the King of Adarlan, Celaena faces them head on, finally tired of cowering.

This book makes a lot of progress in terms of the story. A lot is discovered about the story and the characters, new characters are introduced and old characters reunite.

I still have to say Crown Of Midnight is my favourite, HeirOf Fire coming in second but Queen Of Shadows is not bad. I can’t say much more about the plot without giving away the storyline but do read it! Especially since Empire Of Storms is due to come out soon!

CHARACTERS

If you’ve read any of my other Throne Of Glass series reviews, you’ll know my favourite character is Chaol and although I can’t say it’s changed, other characters have begun to grow on me.

I didn’t much like Celaena in the beginning of the book. She was arrogant and a little bit cold (especially towards Chaol!) but this is just a personal opinion. She wasn’t very understanding of what other characters went through when she was away and seemed too rash. I do know from reading other reviews that other people adored Celaena in this book. towards the end though, I began to warm up to her a bit. Nonetheless, she is not my favourite character and I can’t say I care for her too much.

Rowan, who we met in Heir Of Fire, is back in Queen Of Shadows and for that, I was glad! Similar to Celaena, I didn’t like him very much in the beginning of the book but he did grow on me. I like how calm, cool, loyal and honourable he is. He is also uncharacteristically kind, which we see more of in this book.

Queen Of Shadows No Spoiler Book Review | empoweredinternetwomen

Aedion is another character we met in the previous book but get to know more in this book. Although I didn’t like him towards the beginning, he, too grew on me. I liked his humour and loyalty. However, I didn’t feel very connected to him.

Lysandra is a brand new character who I liked from the very beginning. She is funny, bold and an interesting character although I would like to get to know her better! Nesyn is another new character I can’t wait to see more of.

Chaol wasn’t present very much in the book, which is super sad for me because I seriously missed him, but he was, sweet and honourable as usual.

FINALLY…

Queen Of Shadows is enjoyable and fast paced and interesting, however, it isn’t my favourite book from the series, or in general. But do read it! Like I said before, most of my problems with the book are personal and not about the way it has been written as such. And I am very excited for Empire Of Storms to come out! I can’t wait to see what Maas does with the rest of the series. 

You May Also Like

0 happy thoughts