The Siren No Spoiler Book Review

by - Saturday, August 27, 2016

The Siren No Spoiler Book Review | sprinkledpages

The Siren by Kiera Cass is a unique story about a siren that falls in love with an ordinary boy. Written by Kiera Cass, author of The Selection series, it's her very first book that was originally self published.

About the book.

Book: The Siren
Author: Kiera Cass
Pages: 336
Publisher: Harper Teen
Rating: 
Synopsis: Kahlen is a Siren, bound to serve the Ocean by luring humans to watery graves with her voice, which is deadly to any human who hears it. Akinli is human—a kind, handsome boy who's everything Kahlen ever dreamed of. Falling in love puts them both in danger . . . but Kahlen can't bear to stay away. Will she risk everything to follow her heart?
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Recommended for: Anyone 12+.




My thoughts. 

SUMMARY 

The Siren by Kiera Cass is a book about a siren that falls in love with a normal boy. It is Kiera Cass's very first book that was originally published as a e-book and now an actual book. I was quite excited to read this after having read The Selection series also by the same author but I found myself a little disappointed but more on that later. 

COVER 

The cover of this is absolutely beautiful with the complementing colours and how well the image links to the story. It is what really drew me to the book in the first place. 

IDEA 

I quite liked the idea of this book and found it to be very unique. It is unlike anything I've read before and I liked the way it mixed old myths and modern times. I think the idea and the cover are the only saving grace of this book, which sounds harsh but it is my personal opinion and you might not feel the same when you read it. 

WRITING 

The writing of this book was a bit bland and not too impressive. I found it didn't have Cass's usual magic or suspense. It was quite flat, bland and dull. I also found it slightly creepy how the ocean could talk to the sirens. I feel like if the ocean wanted to communicate with the sirens, it could have been written in a way that it wasn't that weird. 

The Siren No Spoiler Book Review | sprinkledpages

PLOT 

The plot was awfully predictable and didn't have Cass's usual tricks and turns. I found there to be a lot of plot holes and many events that occurred weren't explained well. It wasn't very engaging and didn't have me wondering and waiting to see what would happen next. There were some parts though that were okay and it did have a logical sequence and flow to it that made the book readable. 

CHARACTERS 

The characters weren't very memorable or outstanding. I feel like they remained quite flat and two dimensional. They didn't spring off the pages and weren't so vivid and lifelike I thought they were real. If I'm being honest, I think the characters were too good to be true at times. 

FINALLY...

I know this has been a fairly negative and bland review and I don't mean to offend any lovers of Kiera Cass. However, I didn't love this book and I thought it was fair for me to say exactly what I thought. It wasn't unreadable and absolutely terrible but it wasn't outstanding or memorable. 

Read it if you are intrigued by the blurb or a big fan of Cass but if not, don't bother.

Disclaimer, I don't mean to offend anyone but as a reviewer, it is my job to be honest and blunt. There were aspects of the book I liked, there were aspects  I didn't like. I found the bad outweighed the good, unfortunately. 

You May Also Like

0 happy thoughts